USE 17

HMS Norfolk Page 4

Fitting Out the Hull & Superstructure

From here on it became progressively more involved, difficult and intricate. Peter made a temporary stand for the model and I started on the false flooring. Why, you are asking, do we need a false floor?

Well I thought that it would be easier to kit out and I was going to insert foam into the cavity as this would make it much stronger and lessen the noise and vibrations through the hull.
Also I included internal wall skins and these I filled with foam as well. The sections I have foamed are the forward battery hold, just after the joining bulkhead and the other holds include the main battery section, motor connectors section and the radio gear hold.

Peter started making the main mast and when this was done he gave it to me to finish as I was going to install the motor and the electrics later on. I felt that the joining sections of the hull would not be strong enough on their From here on it became progressively more involved, difficult and intricate.

The middle bulkheads had to be very strong as these sometimes would have to be parted. So I made up L brackets made of aluminium with holes drilled in them, as this would help the Epoxy glue and chopped fibre glass paste penetrate the holes and make it much stronger. I placed the L brackets along the inner skin and bulkhead, with 6mm x 50mm strips at the top and bottom. As these would be much stronger when bolting the bulkheads together. In all I used 1 3/4 lb of fibre glass to glue in all the brackets, I know this sounds a lot but it was needed.

The Connecting Bulkhead Bracing

Motor connection hold with foam in place.

Build 15
P1020549
P1020636

Metal Walkway Frames Near the Top of the Mast

These walkways above the hooters were extremely difficult and baffled an old sod like me but after a little thought I came up with an idea. I would have to make a jig for the ladder parts. The main stems were 110mm long and made out of 3mm square brass.
There are 11 pieces in each of the walkways of 1.5mm brass rod that was inserted into holes drilled into the brass box. There was a 3mm sq piece of brass box plus a piece of brass strip half way down and at very end. (Sorry about the poor photos as I didn't think I was going to make a website.) They were mostly silver soldered together.

I made the walkway hand rails from 1.5mm brass rod and these were 18mm high. There was also a middle support beam also in 3mm square brass x 85mm long which had to be at an angle with a small connector box section near the front.
I had to make 4 of these so it took a good deal of time and effort. I was NOT looking forward to inserting these walkways into the main mast but as it turned out it was a straightforward job to do. These were all inserted 20 mm into the mast housing and then all glued in with Epoxy glue.
They are now very strong. The middle set of beams were made with similar materials but later, when in use the rod front plate fell off. As you can see it still needs a little touch up.

Build 31
Build 33
P1020598

All the brass box that I used was 3mm square with 1.5mm rod for the hand rails, including 1mm brass sheet. To explain how I made it would take a great deal of time to do and I do not want to bore you all.
Just to say that I had to make two lots of framework. One for the top walkway and the main frame to hold it all together. It seems I am very good at silver soldering as it is all very strong indeed.
 indeed.

P1020519

Main Radar Unit

I tried to make the main radar look like the real one. Of course it’s not exactly right but it’s good enough for me.
You wouldn't think that there are 28 small parts to it but there are you know. Where you say! They’re made from Ramin, ply, brass and many other bits and pieces.

P1020605

Main Mast Secondry and Bridge Roof Radars